Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What Doesn't Kill Us, Only Makes Us Stronger...

As I was saying in the last post, the problem seems to be the Corporate MMO Companies that are the problem here. They hire large to launch, then cut jobs as the numbers fall off.

I am no stranger to being laid off. I did at least get 14 years at one job, and a nice big 401K at the end, but in the end, it was just that. The end.

Lum describes it in his own way here, but it is the same no matter where you work. You lose your job, it sucks. End of story.

I mean, people ask why I don't go back to what I loved for so long, and I say because with what I am doing now, the only person that can fire me is myself. I may have to look for different places to pedal my warez from time to time, but in general I am in charge, and I can do what I need to do for my market, and my wallet. If I fail, it is not because of anyone but myself. I like that, and hate it at the same time.

Game designers are no different. From people like Derek Smart, Anthony Castoro, Raph Koster, and so many others, have are out there to make their own mark on the gaming industry without the help of the big corporate wheel. You can do it too, if you have the right mindset and the right tools. If you don't, you should start paying attention to others like those I mentioned above. They were all once like you.

So, I am always sorry to hear that the gears have moved once again and folks have had to make changes they may or may not have been expecting. The best thing for folks in any industry that relies on customer numbers and revenue is to always make sure you have your foot in another door.

It is a subject that is hard for me to talk about simply because I have been there. I know how bad it sucks, and how much you gave of your soul before being utterly decimated and launched into the vast, cold, space of not having that job anymore. But we must press on. We must endure. What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger.

For those of you still hanging in there. Your companies are ruthless, they don't love anything but the bottom line. Maybe some day we can make them understand just how wrong it was to let us all go.

Anyway, until next time...

No comments: