Monday, August 10, 2009

Play The Isle To Get A Smile... or Get A Grasp on Wintergrasp...

Isle Of Conquest...

The new battleground has still got a few things to be ironed out, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling when playing this bg so far. You can take over several areas on the map such as the docks, a hangar and a workshop which are all needed to make different assaults on the enemy stronghold.

I haven't really figured out everything about this bg yet, but I find that parachuting off the air gunship into the enemy base to be quite exciting. They have siege vehicles for breaking into the enemy base at the workshop, and the docks have 2 vehicles, one is a stealth catapult, for shooting yourself into the enemy base. These move very quickly, and then you just line it up outside the base or inside and then launch yourself in. The other vehicle is a glaive launcher. This one has two modes, the big glaive for killing other units and probably does building damage. The other mode is a burst of smaller glaves that you can shoot at ememy units.

There are also different bombs you can use to brake down the enemy gates and I am sure so much more that I do not even know about yet. Overall I give it a thumb up on an attempt to make something fun in the bgs again.

The changes to Wintergrasp que system are interesting... Basically, they took out the part where we have to ask for an invite to a raid each time and put us into raid groups through the battlemaster. I mentioned in the last update that if you drop connection, the game will ask you again if you want to be in the battle, and failure to answer again will get you ejected outside the Wintergrasp grounds. I think they are going to need to adjust that a bit. Most of the bgs let you disconnect and return if you are quick enough without causing too much of a problem. Sometimes, the Internet just decides to leave you hanging, and there should be a tiny grace period for those of us that need a chance to relog in.

The only thing I don't like about the new WG que is that when the battle is over, I think it needs to remove you from the raid automatically. It is very easy to forget that you have been put into a group like that, and this can cause bugs or issues with daily quests and probably regular quests. For example, I logged in one morning, after being in a BG the night before and couldn't get my daily quests to work correctly. Items wouldn't "sparkle" and there was another where you have to capture Wolvar pups, and all I could do was attack them. After much confusion, I finally realized I was still in a raid group from the day before. I "left" the group, and eveything was working correctly again. Outside of that though, I have been happily collecting my Soul Keeper Shards to get my Black War Mammoth, which I should have by Tuesday on Mydnight. Haz got her Black War Mammoth some time ago, and enjoys it thoroughly...

The changes on the time for Warsong Gulch has left me feeling happy again as well. Now there is a timer on the game so we don't have as much need for screwing around on the battlefield. Also Arathi Basin, and Eye of the Storm have also been shortened up so we can get our marks and move on. So far, I approve of all of these changes. I would still like to see some help for Alterac Valley. Seems like Bliz is at least thinking about these things, so lets hope they will take it a step or two more and make all of the BG's worth playing.

That's all I got...

No comments: